A few talent tweaks to L90. I can’t see how you would NOT take Dream of Cenarius right now, despite how much I hate the talent:
- Dream of Cenarius now increases the damage bonus of your next Eclipse by 25% for Balance, up from 10%. Feral proc now causes your next two melee abilities to deal 30% additional damage, up from 25%.
- Nature’s Vigil now increases all damage and healing done by 12% for 30 sec, up from 10%.
According to the data-mining by MMO-Champion, a lot of changes are ahead. While most of the changes were done to assist restoration druids in their healing issues, there were also some changes to balance druids. (I removed the parts of talents not applicable to balance. Mouseover them to see the entire new (and old) tooltips).
- Innervate Causes the target to regenerate
10% of the caster’s maximum mana over 10 sec. If cast on self, the caster will regenerate an additional 10% of maximum mana over10 sec. Can be cast in Tree of Life Form, Moonkin Form. 30 yd range. Instant. 3 min cooldown.
8.4%of Base Mana.
- Eclipse Your Wrath now generates Lunar Energy and your Starfire now generates Solar Energy. Solar Eclipse When you reach 100 Solar Energy you will trigger a Solar Eclipse, increasing all Nature damage done by 15%. Lunar Eclipse When you reach 100 Lunar Energy you will trigger a Lunar Eclipse, increasing all Arcane damage done by 15% and transforming your Hurricane spell into Astral Storm. When triggered, both Lunar and Solar Eclipse grant 15% spell haste for 15 sec and energize you for
35%of your maximum mana. Druid – Balance Spec.
- Moonkin Form Shapeshift into Moonkin Form, increasing Arcane and Nature damage you deal by 10%
and reducing all damage you take by 15%. The Druid cannot cast healing spells while shapeshifted. While in this form, you increase the spell haste of all party and raid members within 100 yards by 5%. The act of shapeshifting frees the caster of movement impairing effects. Can’t be cast in Tree of Life Form. Druid – Balance Spec. 9.3% of Base Mana. Instant.
10.3%of Base Mana.
- Starsurge You fuse the power of the moon and sun, launching a devastating blast of energy at the target. Causes [ 4,970 + 238.8% of Spell Power ] Spellstorm damage to the target and generates 20 Lunar or Solar energy, whichever is more beneficial to you. Can be cast in Moonkin Form. Can’t be cast in Tree of Life Form. Druid – Balance Spec.
10.3%of Base Mana. 40 yd range. 2 sec cast. 15 sec cooldown.
- Dream of Cenarius
Wrath, Starfire, Starsurge, and melee abilities increase healing done by your next healing spell by 30%. Tranquility is not affected. Nourish, Healing Touch, and Regrowth increase the damage done by your next 2 Moonfire or Sunfire casts by 50% or by your next 2 melee abilities by 25%. Each of these bonuses lasts 30 sec. Druid – LvL 90 Talent.
- Heart of the Wild Increases Stamina, Agility, and Intellect by 6% at all times. When activated, dramatically improves the Druid’s ability to perform roles outside of their normal specialization for 45 sec. Grants the following benefits based on current specialization: Non-Guardian While in Bear Form, Agility, Expertise, Hit Chance, and armor bonuses increased, Vengeance granted, chance to be hit by melee critical strikes reduced. Non-Feral While in Cat Form, Agility, Hit Chance, and Expertise increased. Non-Restoration
Healing increased andmana cost of all healing spells reduced by 100%. Guardian Druids may also cast Rejuvenation while shapeshifted.
- Mass Entanglement Roots your target in place for 20 sec and spreads to additional nearby enemies
. Affects 5 total targets. Damage caused may interrupt the effect. Useable in all shapeshift forms. Can’t be cast in Flight Form. Limited to 5 targets.Druid – LvL 45 Talent. 30 yd range. Instant. 30 sec cooldown.
- Nature’s Vigil Increases all damage and healing done by 10% for 30 sec. While active, all single-target healing spells also damage a nearby enemy target for 25% of the healing done, and all single-target damage spells and abilities also heal a nearby friendly target for 25% of the
damagedone. Druid – LvL 90 Talent. Instant. 1.5 min cooldown.
- Soul of the Forest Aessina’s blessing grants a benefit which varies by your combat specialization. Balance .
- Ysera’s Gift (New) Every 5 sec, heals you for 5% of your maximum health. If you are at full health, the most injured nearby ally will be healed instead. Can’t be cast in Moonkin Form. 30 yd range. Instant.
So, to recap:
Innervate is being nerfed for balance druids. Since it now revolves around the caster’s spirit, a resto druid innervate will regen much more mana than balance. Our spell costs are being increased, but our mana return from Eclipse is being increased as well.
Moonkin Form is being nerfed in that it no longer grants 15% passive damage reduction.
Our level 90 talents have all been re-worked, although only DoC really changes, the other changes were to boost restoration. Dream of Cenarius now grants a boost to Eclipse damage, but with the removal of Nature’s Swiftness, you’ll have to hardcast a heal to get to it.
Mass Entanglement is having it’s root cap limit removed.
Soul of the Forest is being re-worked to give a chance to instantly swap to an Eclipse (by choice), by tethering the instant Eclipse to Astral Communion.
I’m glad restoration has been given some perks, but it seems it was done at the cost of the other specs. Removing Nature’s Swiftness is a pretty big survival nerf to moonkin, and makes Dream of Cenarius (even reworked) a pain, as it requires hardcasting. It seems that now restoration is the only “non-hybrid” spec, as they can heal and get full range of benefits of all talent choices. Restoration also saw boosts in areas like Nature’s Vigil, that will boost their healing — even when healing. It’d be nice to see that our damage also caused splash damage as well.
It’s hard to say what our class looks like so far, since most of the classes’s dynamics are disabled (Eclipse indicates a 0% buff to damage when reaching the 100 energy) + Starsurge (which hits for tons of damage btw) always increase Lunar Energy.
What i can tell you :
Starsurge is very nice. Hardest hitting spell in my spellbook so far, with a knockdown that lets you cast an extra starfire if you have a melee on you.
Jumping around casting moonfire costing 45 mana is hours of free fun.
I’ve picked up Heart of the Wild from feral tree to get increased intellect, with 2 points in Furor. Since lvl 80 doesnt let you get Master Shapeshifter, i prefered waiting till lvl 85 to get it.
Moonkin form was pretty much nerfed to the ground. You only get 120% armor contribution (my health dropped so fast when a rogue ganked me I didnt have time to hit barkskin), we lost the 15% damage reduction while stunned and no new skins for Worgen or Troll (so far).
Also, Insect Swarm isn’t trainable yet (probably will be implemented as a baseline spell when you chose Balance as a spec)
Grim portrait of our situation, you say?
Fear not, for this is only Beta and many changes are sure to come.
Edit #1 : For those of you with Feral off-spec, Pre-made characters don’t come with any feral weapon — or a tanking set. Feral talents are probably the farthest away from functionning (most of them are “go to trainer!” statused, but once at the trainer, you can’t train them) Heck, Bear form isnt traineable!
It appears the talent trees have been completely revamped, with the highest talent being a 31 point talent. I have yet to reread and digest how this is going to play out, but I will post more as I understand it. Feel free to give your opinions here.
P.S. I may be back.
MMO-Champion has just leaked the Cataclysm Alpha Talent Trees. There’s quite a few changes so far for Balance:
Solar Beam (30 yd range, 1 minute cooldown, 11 pt talent): You summon a beam of solar light over the enemy target’s location, Disorienting all enemy targets under the beam for 3 sec. and silencing all enemy targets under the beam while it is active. Solar Beam lasts for 10 sec.
Lunar Justice (16 pt talent): When you kill a target that yields experience or honor, a ray of moonlight will shine underneath the fallen enemy instantly restoring 2% of your base mana to you or the first ally who stands underneath it. Lunar Justice lasts for 15 sec.
Starsurge (30 yard range, 15 second cooldown, 21 pt talent, requires Solar Beam): You fuse the power of the moon and sun, launching a devastating blast of energy at the target. Causes 1025 to 1027 Spellstorm damage to the target and knocking them down.
Lunar Guidance (3 ranks, 26 point talent, requires Starsurge): Increases the radius of your Solar Beam by 2 yards, and your Starsurge also instantly generates 5 Lunar or Solar energy, depending on which is greater.
Improved Moonkin Form (3 ranks, 31 pt talent): You also grant 2% spell critical chance to all nearby friendly party and raid targets within 100 yards while in Moonkni Form. Read: Looks like Moonkin Form will not give raid buffs and will only give armor, but improved Moonkin Form will give 6% spell crit. No mention of mana return either.
Wrath of Cenarius (36 pt talent, 3 ranks): While moving, the direct damage of your Moonfire spell is increased by 5% and it’s mana cost is reduced by 10% for 3 sec. This effect can stack up to 3 times and lasts 3 sec., but is refreshed as long as you are in movement. Note: Wrath of Cenarius used to give us 20% boost to Starfire spell power and 10% boost to Wrath. It looks like was not moved to any other talent and was lost.
Eclipse (41 pt talent, 3 ranks): Increases the amount of Lunar or Solar energy generated from your Starfire and Wrath by 12%, and when critically hit by a melee or ranged attack, you will instantly generate Lunar or Solar Energy.
Fungal Growth (46 pt talent, requires Force of Nature, 2 ranks): When your Treants die or your Wild Mushrooms are triggered, you spawn a Fungal Growth at its wake covering the area within 8 yards, slowing all enemy targets by 35%. Lasts 10 sec.
Blessing of the Grove (RESTO Tier 1, 2 ranks): Increases the healing done by your Rejuvenation by 2%, the direct damage of your Moonfire by 3% and the damage done by your Claw and Mangle by 2%.
Fury of the Stormrage (26 pt RESTO talent, 3 ranks): You have a 2% chance when you cast Nourish to cause your next Wrath spell to be instant cast and cost no mana, and when you Moonfire a target t that is at or under 25% health you have a 0% chance to cause your next Starfire to be instant cast. Fury of the Stormrage lasts for 8 sec.
I’m running late for work so I can’t give a full synopsis until later tonight, but it looks like so far they’ve focused on PVP viability for both Restoration and Balance, but the PvE abilities look a bit weak (especially considering the loss of Wrath of Cenarius). I’ll post a more detailed analysis later.
I’ve added a few more guides, including talents, dps rotation, and rating values. As always, I’m not claiming any of this to be gospel, just my opinion as I’ve ascended the ranks of a raiding moonkin. Please feel free to browse them and provide your input. Thanks!