A lot of you probably got excited (as I did) when I first saw the patch notes for 5.1 — more moonkin buffs! There actually are not additional buffs, but a reflection of hotfixes that were applied way back on September 20th.
There were a few small changes that don’t look to be part of a hotfix, however, including a nerf/buff to Solar Beam as well as a change to Symbiosis:
- Solar Beam now lasts for 8 sec.
- Glyph of Solar Beam now increases the radius by 100% instead of the duration by 5 seconds.
- Symbiosis is now a two second cast.
The symbiosis change is welcome, as I’m sure all of you have been as frustrated as I am about placing it on raid/party members. The solar beam “nerf” I think will actually be welcomed. It’s rare you get someone stuck in a solar beam for the entirety of 10 (let alone 15) seconds, but now giving a double radius will make it more useful.
Hotfixes were released today, and a few small things were fixed. One thing that was substantially nerfed was symbiosis, which no longer grants tanks an additional cooldown.
While this means you’re no longer pigeonholed into giving a tank a cooldown, there’s also very little to no benefit in a PvE environment from symbiosis.
- The area of effect damage from Nature’s Vigil will no longer hit stealthed targets.
- Fixed an issue with Incarnation that could allow flight without using Flight Form.
- Dream of Cenarius now correctly increases the healing from Cenarion Ward by 30% instead of 70%.
- Starsurge casts that trigger an Eclipse now deal the correct amount of damage.
- Symbiosis has been changed, and now grants the following abilities:
- Protection warriors – Stampeding Shout
- Blood death knights – Wild Mushroom: Plague Protection
- Protection paladins – Wrath
- Brewmaster monks – Bear Hug
In my opinion symbiosis has now been relegated to mostly a PvP talent.
I’ve updated the symbiosis results page to include data from monks, now that it’s implemented.
You can view it here.
Now that we’ve had time to play with Symbiosis as well as discovered the abilities are transferred, it’s obvious there are some oversights and flaws that need to be addressed.
Here’s this druid’s take on it:
Symbiosis needs to be cool. It’s our level 87 ability. Especially for the poor resto druids who haven’t seen a new ability since Wrath of the Lich Ling, this really needs to pack a punch.
The problem we run into now is balancing. The other classes will obviously be balanced around their level 87 ability. If we want throughput abilities (which we do), we are going to need to be balanced around them. To prevent us from being pigeonholed into a Dark Intent situation, the DPS buffs need to be on the druid’s side and not our target.
Further complicating Symbiosis and being balanced around Symbiosis is the situation when we do not have a viable throughput symbiosis partner available. I submit that Symbiosis should provide a passive ability when not cast on a target to give us some sort of buffer/reprieve. This could even be something as simply as +2 mastery. (While the mastery mechanic is not the best for balance druids it would provide something worthwhile to each druid spec, and we all know what happens when Blizzard tries to split one ability across all four specs. I’m looking at you, Heart of the Wild.)
The passive ability should be slightly underpowered compared to the throughput buffs to give a druid incentive to use Symbiosis, but still powerful enough that we are not significantly nerfed if we lack a Symbiosis target.
That’s my two cents for now. I’m sure I’ll have more to talk about. You can also hear my rant on the Team Waffle Podcast, Episode 29 which we recorded last night.
From the MMO-Champion Druid forums:
Hold on 1 sec… I really thought this was a joke! Are they really gone mental or something? Every pvp team, will have a druid, if not 2 or all being preferable, depending on the implementation of the spell. Its so ridicules I’m sure that everyone who ever had a nut-ball idea for their favourite class (myself included) will now actually believe they can have the ‘stealth circus-pegasus noob discriminator’ ability w/o gcd (not included here)! Apart from the practical imbalance, there are some ethical rules being cast aside – are we not all equal in the blizzard god’s eyes?? Well, I thought we were at least supposed to be (even if some are less fortunate and have to eat out of dumpsters every now and again) and that there was a pretension to the idea that ‘we are all the blessed children. Even you Ele Sham, your ugliness makes all greater for your departure to the graveyard’. But hold on, now things have changed! You could say that the DK was a touch evangelistic- everyone gets one, robs all good stuff from the poor kid (enhance D': ), laughing heartily etc, etc but here we go, the messiah himself, the first coming has been taken over by the pagans and the big J has arrived dressed in any ‘ol varmet’ hat he can get his head under so as he can dole out ‘favours for favours’. Everyone wants a piece of him now – they’l want to be him, they’l want to know him, do his laundry, clean his feet, no one will actually want to be anyone else but Big J, and eventually they’l take over america, i mean azeroth. My point is that, this is something like a phenomenon – I mean, I just realised that I wasted my SoR boost to L80 on a flippin mage! Actually, it is a joke,.. yes, i’m sure now. All of those who got there boost on Big J are gonna find out April 1 that, in fact, you just cant have that ‘stealt circus pegasus’ even in fantasy land there are rules! THINK of the RUUUUULES wont you please think…. yes, in the end surely it will something like ‘you can give an ability to another player until you are but a naked toon who has learned his lesson from big J that being greedy and wanting to have everything everyone else has is not always the greatest cause for your actions to find fruit’. Happy 4/1, roll on 21/12 when the druids are in charge!
And the best reply ever, from Warwulf:
Cocaine is a hell of a drug…
There’s been some more details on Symbiosis, although the exact implementation is still in the dark. This data comes compiled for us from MMO-Champion. It looks like Symbiosis will grant the target (non-Druid) player with a Druid ability, and that druid a ability from the target player (specific to the role of the druid). Whether this works for ALL class combinations for all specs remains to be seen. Here’s the details.
- The Druid will select a raid or party member and cast Symbiosis on them.
- The target cannot be another Druid.
- The target gains a buff that tells them what spell they have temporarily learned, and that spell temporarily appears in their spellbook, and they can drag it to an action bar.
- The Druid’s Symbiosis button will become the ability they gained from the target class.
- The Symbiosis link is cancelled if: the Druid clicks off the Symbiosis buff, or the Druid or the target changes continents or enters or exits an instance, or the Druid or the target changes talent specializations.
- Symbiosis fails to cast if Symbiosis is already active on that target.
- Symbiosis cannot be cast in combat.
- For the non-Druid target, the icon will revert to a placeholder (uncastable) Symbiosis icon when Symbiosis ends, but will become the Symbiosis-granted ability again the next time Symbiosis is cast on that target.
- The ability gained from Symbiosis is always something chosen to match the Druid’s specialization and the target’s combat role.
- The target always gets the same spell unless they change combat roles. A Druid of a given specialization always gets the same spell from each different class. If there is a change of specs, there is a change of spell.
Here are some examples of spells gained through Symbiosis. The spells shared focus on utility, cooldowns, and survival. (Adding Fireball to a Moonkin’s rotation sounds cool on paper, but wouldn’t actually be fun in the long run.)
Balance: Chains of Ice, Mirror Image, Mass Dispel
Feral: Feign Death (Play Dead!), Frost Nova, Soul Swap
Guardian: Ice Trap, Fear Ward, Consecration
Restoration: Ice Block, Hand of Sacrifice, Leap of Faith
Holy Paladin: Rebirth
Arms/Fury Warrior: Enrage
Enhancement/Elemental Shaman: Solar Beam
There are a lot more coming, but we’ll keep some surprises for now, and many are still subject to change after testing. Including all of those just listed.