Looking at the major glyph situation, Balance Druids are currently left in the dark. While Glyph of Rebirth will probably be one of our choices, that still leaves two spots unaccounted for. After speaking with Lissanna earlier today, I came up with the idea for a Glyph of Wild Mushroom.
Glyph of Wild Mushroom allows all three Wild Mushrooms to be cast at once, however the cooldown of Wild Mushroom: Bloom and Wild Mushroom: Detonate is increased to 12 seconds.
Some may balk at the increased cooldown duration. This increased duration was encountered already with the addition of two extra GCDs, so you’d be at a net neutral. At lower haste levels, you may actually gain a little bit of time as you haven’t reached the 1.0 second GCD mark yet.
Lissanna thought that 12 seconds might be to overpowered. I’d still be okay with 15 seconds. This would certainly be a situational spell. If extended AoE was required where we’d need to mushroom every ten seconds, it may not be as desired, however if the AoE was burst and only done once at a time, it may be useful.
What do you think? What additional glyphs would you like to see? Remember, the thought behind major glyphs is to gain something, you also sacrifice something. Pure throughput glyphs have gone the way of the Dodo.
Just like in Cataclysm, some old glyph IDs are being re-used for the new glyphs, that means if you want to have these new glyphs in MoP Beta, you need to learn the same item ID on live. Here’s the conversions:
Glyph of the Stag: Glyph of Mangle
Glyph of the Stars: Glyph of Typhoon
Glyph of the Orca: Glyph of Insect Swarm
Glyph of Grace: Glyph of Thorns
Glyph of Stampede: Glyph of Swiftmend
Glyph of Stampeding Roar: Glyph of Savage Roar
Glyph of the Chameleon: Glyph of Challenging Roar
Glyph of the Moonbeast: Glyph of Starfire
I’m quite literally a sad panda, no pun intended, as I do not have beta access yet. Lissanna of Restokin has the beta downloaded and has begun to share with us her findings. Here’s the screenshots for stag and orca form, as well as Astral Form.
And last but not least, Astral Form:
What are your opinions so far? I wish they would have done more with Astral Form then give us the one graphic that’s possibly older than Moonkin Form… but, at least it’s something.
Now that the NDA has been lifted for the Mists of Pandaria Press event, a whole host of information is coming out. Here’s some of the druid changes.
- A new minor glyph that allow druids to have a random coloring in cat and bear form has been added.
- A new minor glyph that allow druids to stay in tree form has been added.
- A new minor glyph that changes a druid’s aquatic form into a Orca has been added.
- A new minor glyph that changes a druid’s travel form into a white stag has been added. Other players can ride you while in this form.
- A new minor glyph that changes a druid’s moonkin form into a moonkin spirit has been added.
Moonkin spirit?! Can it be?! I don’t have to be a fat owl in Mists of Pandaria?!
What are your thoughts?
I’ve had a lot of people ask me, so here’s a link to my 4.0 Moonkin / Balance Druid Talent Spec. The empty glyphs are pretty much free choice for what you want to use.
Also, if you’re getting database connection errors when you view the blog, just refresh. I don’t think it’s been handling this increased traffic well, I’ve submitted a ticket with my host.
If you copy over your character to the PTR with “Glyph of Nourish”, it’ll magically turn itself into the “Glyph of Starsurge” on the PTR! Go have fun!
If you’ve already copied over and don’t want to burn another copy, I brought over 8 additional glyphs on Broxigar (US-PVP). Come find me and I’ll give you one. I’m Sunfyyre on PTR.
(h/t to Lissanna@Restokin for scooping this story)
New druid glyphs have been released, and are broken into three catagories: Prime, Major, and Minor. I will focus on the balance glyphs. For a full druid list, please check out Restokin.
- Starsurge – When your starsurge deals damage, the cooldown remaining on your starfall is reduced by 5 sec.
- Insect swarm – Still increases damage by 30%, no longer mentions debuff.
- Moonfire – Increases the periodic damage of moonfire by 10%
- Starfire – Unchanged (starfire increases duration of Moonfire)
- Wrath – Your wrath does 10% additional damage to targets afflicted by your insect swarm
- Focus – unchanged (still reduces starfall radius for bonus damage)
- Thorns – Reduces cooldown by 20 sec
- Barkskin – Unchanged (reduces chance to be crit)
- Roots – Reduces cast time of roots by 100%
- Hurricane – Slows movement speed by 50%
- Innervate – When innervate is cast on a friendly target other than the caster, the caster will gain 50% of inntervate’s effect
- Monsoon – Unchanged (reduces cooldown of typhoon by 3 sec)
- Rebirth – Unchanged (res with 100% health)
- Solar beam – Increases the duration of your solar beam silence by 5 sec.
- Starfall – Reduces the cooldown on starfall by 30 sec
- Aquatic form – increases swim speed by 50% in aquatic form.
- Mark of the wild – Reduces cost of MOTW by 50% (NOTE: GOTW is gone and MOTW is now group & already costs no reagent)
- Unburdened rebirth (unchanged) – rebirth no longer requires a reagent
- Typhoon – reduces cost of the spell by 8%, increases radius by 10 yards, but no longer knocks enemies back
I like how the glyph system works in Cataclysm, as you can always swap glyphs in and out once you have them. I think our prime glyph set is really going to allow us to tailor our abilities on a fight-per-fight basis. On heavy tank and spank, direct damage, little movement fights, I’d want starsurge, starfire, and wrath. During fights with a lot of movement, I’d probably favor the DoT-centric glyphs and go for Moonfire and Insect Swarm. Having a third tier of glyphs also allows us to keep favorites like Starfall, but also add in additional utility glyphs like innervate. I REALLY wish that innervate would have given the bonus if you cast on yourself as well, as a 20% mana return every 3 minutes is pretty weak. (Unless nerfed, mages get 60% mana back at a lot quicker time with Evocation).
[item]Glyph of Focus[/item] is being nerfed in 3.3.3. This seems to be mostly a PvP nerf, but obviously Starfall will still be a huge buff. I really didn’t think Focus was the way to go in PvE just because of the range nerf.
- Glyph of Focus: Now increases the damage done by Starfall by 10%, down from 20%.
Moonfire, Starfire and Starfall glyphs will be the way to go
I haven’t sat down and theorycrafted a whole lot on the glyph of focus, and whether it’s worth dropping [item]Glyph of Moonfire[/item] or [item]Glyph of Starfire[/item], but I’ve decided not to pick it up, and here is my reasoning:
While Starfall is going to be a great boost to all of our DPS, and a 20% boost would be nice, the place it’s going to really shine is Blood Beasts on Heroic Saurfang (as the main star component is not treated as an AoE), as well as Lich King (it’ll do some massive AoE and splash damage to the Vile Spirits). Cutting the range by 50% would really counter-act that, and I believe really cut into the utility of the spell.
I’m already using [item]Glyph of Starfall[/item] and definitely will be going forward.
What do you guys plan on using?