So another patch is released, and guess what. Sunfire and Shooting Stars still are not fixed.
Am I the only one who gets annoyed at all of the QQing by other classes when you kill them just using instants? (Moonfire, insect swarm, starsurge on shooting stars proc, starfall, moonfire, and more moonfire). I’m sorry. Would you like me to stand there and cast a 3 second spell so you can counterspell, kick, pummel, skull bash, etc., etc., etc.?
The 4.0.1 live build is the exact same build number as PTR. As such, we can expect a few bugs, and there’s a few precautions.
- Sunfire will most likely be bugged and not scaling with haste, and ticking at 3 second intervals.
Many people experienced problems with training mastery, where training mastery did not infact GIVE you mastery. (The spellbook still said to go see your trainer). I figured out a way to make it work, using the following method. I suggest you do the same just as a precaution.
- When you first load into 4.0, before you talent, head to Moonglade. At the trainer, learn mastery and leather specialization before any other ability.
There was also issues with existing character copies to PTR where they weren’t properly learning their profession. A rumored fix that I can’t confirm is to learn a new profession recipe/pattern/etc before you change to a new server (ie from Kalimdor to Eastern Kingdom, or to Northrend, etc). I can’t confirm this. I’ll post more when I get on live and see if my professions work.
While we’re waiting for 4.0 to become live, here’s some odds and ends that have mostly flown underneath the radar.
- Rebirth is now on a 30-minute cooldown, however warlocks can also now combat rez.
- Faerie Fire is now identical to Sunder Armor, and stacks 3 times. (Faerie Fire lasts 5 minutes, Sunder Armor only lasts 30 seconds, but helps a warrior tank’s threat). I played around with this some on PTR. You can apply sunder armor AND faerie fire to a target. I’m going to assume that the armor debuff actually doesn’t stack and this was merely done to allow protection tanks to build threat when faerie fire is already on the mob.
- Mark of the Wild is identical to Blessing of Kings, and you cannot have both.
Remember these new synergies, they may help you find a group!
- Like flying mounts, all ground mounts now travel 100% speed if you have the proper skill. That means I can run around on my fluffy [item]Brewfest Ram[/item]!
By the way.. if you’re looking for a moonkin guide, check out Qieth’s guide. Lissanna at Restokin also has a great resource list. As the focus of my blog is end game raiding, I’ve refrained making a basic 4.0.1 moonkin guide, opting to focus more on the finesse and min/max. However, If you DO have more basic questions, feel free to email me, ask via Twitter, or via comment, and I’ll be glad to answer any question, no matter how simple.
I will be home all day tomorrow providing patch updates on Twitter and via the blog, but unless it’s huge breaking news, it’ll be primarily on Twitter. Make sure you follow at @SunfyresNest!
Thank you for your patience.
It’s here. Are you ready?
I suggest you go buy a Glyph of Nourish and keep it in your bags.
MMO-Champion reports that 4.0.1 is live next week. This gives you very little time to polish your new rotation. I suggest before next Tuesday you all buy a [item]45603[/item] as it’ll morph into a Glyph of Starsurge. I’ll post some DPS pointers a little later on today.
I’m not as horribly upset about moonkin in 4.0 as I thought I’d be. Our balance seems to be alright. We’re not horribly twinky like certain classes right now, but I do slightly more DPS on a dummy than I do on live. (I did over 10 million damage to the training dummy without running out of mana once). I am lacking the Starsurge glyph which would boost my damage quite a bit, and I’m pretty lazy on treants.
My first impressions on Eclipse:
It’s an interesting mechanic. I think we’ll definitely want to keep stacking crit, just because it’ll move us the quickest from one eclipse to the other. Starsurge hits just about as hard as Starfire (I did a 39.5k Starfire and 39.5k Starsurge). I’ve noticed DoTs do not take burn any of the Eclipse meter, and I’ve been weaving my DoTs (Moonfire on lunar, Insect Swarm on Solar).
Anyone else have any opinions?
Here’s the first screenshot. which demonstrates the Eclipse bar. Mousing over the bar shows a numeric value from 100 (Lunar), down to 0, then 100 (Solar). I’ll be re-vamping the Cataclysm page with a lot more screenshots soon.
4.0.1 has been released to the PTR. You can test the new stat changes, eclipse mechanic, etc, however any Cataclysm-specific content is not available. I’ll post screenshots of the new interfaces once my character has copied over.
Character Copy is available if you hurry. I’m sure the queue will fill back up again soon! Go now!