Archive for August, 2012
Looks like some more number tweaking is happening despite 5.0 having gone live on the realms.
- Hurricane base damage increased by 27% and SP scaling increased by 7%.
- Dream of Cenarius now increases the damage done by your next 2 Moonfire or Sunfire casts by 50%, down from 65%.
The hurricane change is great and all, but it doesn’t do anything to deal with the fact that Solar is still a very important side of our direct damage (since, well, we have to use it), and our direct damage in Solar is pretty poor. Continuing to buff the AoE side of Solar and making a larger discrepancy doesn’t solve the problem.
Dream of Cenarius is about back to where it started. I’m not exactly thrilled with the implementation of that talent, and I’m not sure anyone who is.
Now that the Mists of Pandaria patch has been pushed to live and we now see what most likely will be our toolkit (at least to start with), I’ll begin posting my opinions.
Overall, I’m happy with the toolkit we have. The changes to Eclipse, giving us both Moonfire and Sunfire, Astral Communion, and our cooldowns are very nice. I no longer feel penalized at the start of a fight.
Multi-dotting is a great tool, especially with multiple adds up, because Starsurge procs back to back to back.
Celestial Alignment is great to punch out extra DPS in periods where you know you’ll have some sort of damage modifier, or you have a long period to stand and nuke.
With Soul of the Forest, Eclipse transitions are a joke, especially at our high haste values in Cataclysm. I can easily make it between Eclipses with Nature’s Grace still active.
There are however, some large problems that I see, mostly in the number balancing that has recently occurred:
- Wrath and Solar Eclipse in general is extremely weak for direct damage DPS. They wanted to add “flavor” to our Eclipses, so they buffed Hurricane and nerfed Wrath.
- The problem with this is obvious: We spend much more time in a direct damage mode than in a AoE mode. This methodology would work fine if we could keep ourselves in one Eclipse and only switch when we needed to switch between direct damage and AoE, but that isn’t the case, and at that point Eclipse wouldn’t be much more than a stance that we’d have to manage.
- We still see the ebb and flow damage in Eclipse that we did in Cataclysm, however now instead of being weak just between Eclipses, we’re weak for everything EXCEPT Lunar Eclipse.
- At this point I’d be much more happy if they got rid of this “flavor” and balanced both Eclipses, which is what they initially did in Mists beta.
For reference, Starfire did 19% of my damage on a recent LFR Deathwing fight (9m) while Wrath did 13% (6.6m).
What are your initial impressions?
A few small changes in this build. They’re still tweaking with Dream of Cenarius… and it still sucks.
- Dream of Cenarius now works with instant casts. Now increases the damage done by your next 2 Moonfire or Sunfire casts by 100% or by your next 2 melee abilities by 30%, rather than your next damaging spell by 70% or by your next melee ability by 30%.
Also, our four piece was updated. A slight buff.
- Item – Druid T14 Balance 4P Bonus – Increases the duration of your Moonfire and Sunfire spells by 4 sec, up from 3 sec.
Basically nothing to write home about in this build, but it’s not a nerf, so I’m not complaining!