Archive for June, 2012
Here’s an excerpt from Ghostcrawler regarding incoming changes to the Balance rotation:
We are experimenting with some changes to the rotation. No promises that these changes will stay, but we definitely look forward to your feedback (both in terms of theorycrafting and how fun it is). Shooting Stars should occur much more frequently, and Starsurge should be a more important (read: high damage) button. Additionally, we’re adding a new passive that has some interesting implications. Should you choose to ignore it, your DPS will likely be only a few percentage behind someone who uses it optimally, but it should hopefully provide some more varied gameplay. To use some game designer jargon, we’re happy with Moonkins’ macro level rotational gameplay, but think they needs some more mirco-level decisions.
- Shooting Stars chance increased from 20% to 50%.
- Starsurge damage increased by 30%.
- Fae Empowerment: New passive for Balance Druids. When you cast Faerie Fire, you gain Lunar Empowerment and Solar Empowerment.
- Lunar Empowerment: Increases the damage of your next 3 Starfires within 15 sec by 15%.
- Solar Empowerment: Increases the damage of your next 3 Wraths within 15 sec by 20%.
Please note that these changes are straight DPS buffs, and we don’t think Moonkin need a buff right now, so we need to reduce overall damage (probably across the board) so that overall DPS stays the same. These nerfs may take a few builds, because we need to evaluate if these rotation changes are worth doing. However, don’t be surprised when you see them, and help spread the word when you see the inevitable “I can’t believe we were nerfed!” posts.
I’m all for making our rotation interesting, making Starsurge and Shooting Stars more impressive. That being said, however, I’m not sure I like forcing us to spam Faerie Fire (which really does nothing for us) every few casts just to get a straight buff on our nukes. It seems silly and awkward.
What do you think?
Also, I haven’t been able to log into my level 89 druid on beta for a month and a half now, and I really don’t have the motivation to level another character to 90. (As soon as I log in, I’m immediately disconnected. Only on that toon, and it happens on the Mac and the Windows client). If for some reason you’re reading this from Blizzard HQ, please make them fix this! Thanks!
Sorry for my lack of activity the last few weeks. Between the Diablo III launch, my move IRL, general lack of Balance Druid changes, and the fact that for almost a month now I have not been able to log into my 89 druid on Beta (even though every other character works just fine), I haven’t really had much to talk about.
I will, however, be joining Team Waffle tonight on their podcast to discuss the level 90 Balance Druid talents. Make sure to check us out live at 8 PM PST, 11 PM EST!
Beta Build 15739 will be released shortly, and included are many moonkin buffs.
With these buffs, it’s important to know that not only did the base damage get increased by 10%, the spell coefficient did as well.
- Moonfire damage was increased by 10%.
- Starfall damage was increased by 10%.
- Wrath damage was increased by 10%.
- Starfire damage was increased by 10%.
- Starsurge damage was increased by 10%.
- Astral Communion: Commune with the sun and moon, gaining 15 (was 20) Lunar or Solar energy every 1 sec for 7 sec (was 5 sec)
I’m not concerned about the nerf to Astral Communion. It clearly was not designed to be a DPS rotation ability, and the modification clears that up a bit.
Also, it looks like we will have some Woodland Creature friends:
- Glyph of Mark of the Wild has been renamed Glyph of Charm Woodland Creature: Teaches you the ability Charm Woodland Creature. Allows the Druid to befriend an ambient creature, which will follow the Druid for 60 min.