Archive for January, 2011
As promised, there have been some more PVP tweaks made in the latest 4.0.6 builds.
- Moonkin Form now grants 15% damage reduction instead of increased armor. In addition, shapeshifting in or out of this form now breaks roots. Note this is not stated in the tooltip.
- Sudden Eclipse now restores 20 Solar or 13 Lunar Energy. Up from 5 Solar or 7 Lunar.
The change to Moonkin Form is nice, it’s basically giving us Disentanglement. I’m curious to see if they meant “all rooting effects”, (such as frost nova). I’d hope so.
The Sudden Eclipse change (4pc PVP bonus) seems like a pretty drastic one, although I would have expected it to grant 20 lunar and 13 solar energy.
I apologize for the tardiness in my posts. I have been really busy working away from home (but in sunny Southern California) the last few weeks, and will continue to be working here through June. I’ve stopped raiding at this point and you guys are my only connection to my World of Warcraft world! Also, kudos to Balourd for stepping in and posting in my absense.
- Force of Nature and Wild Mushroom can now be cast correctly even if the target is on a different height of terrain from the druid
Is that the “No path available” we get when we’re on the croc statue’s head in Lost City of the Tol’vir? Or the one we get when we’re fighting Siamat?
If so… YAY!
If not, I have no idea when this was ever a problem!
It looks like we may have spoken too soon. There are some following 4.0.6 changes which begin to slowly balance out the recent nerfs:
- Fungal growth duration has been increased to 20 seconds, up from 10. In addition, it should now be much more responsive when detonating Wild Mushrooms.
- Moonkin Form now grants 15% damage reduction instead of increased armor.
- Starfall will no longer strike targets that are not in combat and will now drop stars at a slightly faster rate.
- Wild Mushroom is now instant cast, down from 0.5 seconds. In addition, the radius of detonation has been increased to 6 yards, up from 3, and damage done increased by 30%.
The fungal growth seems like it’s going to be our new main staple for snaring / slowing people on the run. The Moonkin Form change is a nice buff for damage from spellcasters, but really still does nothing when we’re rooted in frost nova being shattered by a frost mage. The starfall buff is GREAT for dungeons. The Wild Mushroom buff is an additional 15% from it’s previously stated 15% buff.
Also, Zarhym hints that while Balance druids will not be able to get ‘Entanglement’ which removes roots when shapeshifting, there are other plans that will be released after the holiday weekend.
Sorry I’m late on these changes, and I know a lot of you are already discussing these in the comments. I’m out in San Diego for the next six months for work and been pretty busy (the beautiful weather also makes it hard for me to want to stay indoors). As such, I’ve taken a break from raiding and am just taking the time to blog right now.
First, I’ll start with the positive:
- Worgen/Troll Flight Forms!
- Typhoon mana cost has been reduced by 50%.
And now, with the final stake in Moonkin PVP, the additional changes were announced:
- Glyph of Entangling Roots redesigned. It now reduces the cast time of Entangling Roots by 0.2 seconds, rather than making it instant cast.
- Shapeshifts: Entering or leaving a shapeshift no longer cancels root effects. It continues to cancel movement slowing effects.
I have a feeling the Glyph of Entangling Roots was nerfed due to the heroic Nefarian encounter, but this really breaks ANY kitability that Moonkin have, and again, the Shapeshift nerf I think is aimed at ferals (who are completely overpowered), but totally breaks any survivability Moonkin have. I really think they need to find ways to nerf resto and feral without breaking the basic tenants of being a druid (polymorph immunity, root snaring immunity, etc). Those were the ONLY things that balance druids had to rely on.
Sound off here!
- Soothe is now instant cast, down from 1.5 sec cast.
- Moonfire and Sunfire now costs 9% of base mana, down from 18% of base mana.
- Fungal Growth now has a 100 yards range, up from 30 yards.
- Total Eclipse now increases bonus damage from Eclipse by 16%, up from 12%. Each point of Mastery now increases the bonus by an additional 2%, up from 1.5%
Blizzard apparently acknowledged that Moonkin mastery was too weak and provided a slight tweak to the numbers. Now, each point of mastery will provide a 2% boost in Eclipse damage. (Up from 1.5%). Since Total Eclipse also provides us with a base mastery value of “8”, that is going to boost the standard Eclipse from 37.5% (25% + 12%) to 41% (25% + 16%).
What does that mean to you? Well, crit and mastery numbers were trending about on par for each other before this build, and should now give mastery a decent edge over crit. As haste values were still leaps and bounds over both, I don’t think we’ll see a change of haste being our prime stat.
Moonfire/Sunfire’s base mana cost was reduced from 18% to 9%, but that is most likely just a tooltip clarification. (I’ll verify this later, but I believe the mana cost was already halved when the base damage was buffed by 50% in a beta build).
The fungal growth change is handy, as I’ve often been out of range of my mushrooms and unable to pop them.
The soothe change was just reverting to 4.0.1 behavior. I’m not sure why they changed it in the first place. (Probably to offset the small mana cost we face versus the larger focus cost of a hunter, but it’s still a silly way to do it). Since I’m no longer doing heroic Arthas, I don’t really care either way.
What’s your opinions?
Sorry I’m a little late on this, but I just got back on dry land from the Caribbean cruise.
There’s a new PTR released, and with it some exciting Balance changes:
- Barkskin is no longer dispellable.
- The Shooting Stars buff duration has been increased to 12 seconds, up from 8 seconds.
- Wild Mushroom is now instant cast, down from 0.5 seconds. In addition, the radius of detonation has been increased to 6 yards, up from 3, and damage done increased by 15%.
- Glyph of Wrath now increases damage done by Wrath by 10% and no longer requires Insect Swarm on the target.
All exciting changes. I’m glad to see the Glyph change, as now Wrath damage won’t fall off for the last 2-3 casts. The Wild Mushroom changes were definitely needed. Hopefully this will be enough. The shooting stars buff duration change is nice as it gives us a little more flexibility in the spell (especially in PVP when we were eating a charge sitting in a CC).